HW: cassettes?

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Sat Jan 18 18:48:36 EST 1997

Frank Weil writes:

> be telling me to take stuff off my web site.  I'm sort of worried
> about the interviews I have stored, too.  I'd like to put them all
> online, but I could live without getting slapped with a copyright
> suit.  Does anyone know where I can get some plain English
> explanations of what I could put online with proper attributions and
> what I can't?

I'd guess that interviews are less of a problem since they are someone's
words spoken publicly and already put into the public domain by the
media article they've appeared in.  Simply reproducing them shouldn't be
a problem as long as you acknowledge the source - should it?  After all
the Hawkwind history "Do Not Panic" reproduced newspaper clippings and
interviews about the band and Trev Hughes has also done this in the
past.

However, I might think about asking the person concerned if it's ok by
them.   There are definitely occasions when folk have said things they
retracted or apologised for later and wouldn't like to see the original
appear all over again.

> >         Have you thought of applying for a federal grant to work
> > full time on Hawkwind trivia :-)
>
> I can just see the headline now:  "Government Grant Given to Encourage
> the Following of Foreign, Long-Haired, Drug-Crazed, Space Freaks."
> I'm sure that would go over just peachy with Newt and the boys!  :-)

I dunno - package it as the nostalgia trip of the millenium, recall the
Great American Dream, mix it with images of space, Moon Landings, trips
to Mars etc. etc. and you'd probably get cross party support throughout
the whole country!

jill
obAmusingRead> Dick Morris, 'After The Fall'
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk