OFF: Silly laws in the UK

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sun Jan 19 08:10:42 EST 1997

> I totally agree with everything Jon said in response to this statement, and
> having lived in the US for the past two years I feel I can comment on both
> the US and UK TV networks.
> The UK system is by far and away better in quality and service.

        Also speaking as a person who has experienced both the US and UK
television systems, I can completely agree with all this.  The TV license
in the UK basically is like a mandatory public television system except
without fund drives :)  Ya sends in your "donation" and Auntie Beeb
sends you the good stuff.
        I mean, there's a reason public television in the US shows so
many BBC shows ... they're _better_.

> Of course, the BBC does put on some really crap stuff - one of the things
> you don't get in the US is the Australian Soaps - but at least there are
> only 2 channels of crap at any one time rather than 57 channels of crap all
> at the same time.

        Yeah, there is some crap on British television--obviously the US
public television stations don't import that :) --and the crap that there
is is indeed pretty crap!  But overall there is less crap on UK television
than US television (not a difficult achievement).

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
Dept. of ASNAC, University of Cambridge            -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)