OFF: Silly laws in the UK

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Sun Jan 19 16:20:10 EST 1997

QUEST wrote:

> 2) The girlfriend (maybe wife) of a man who had a valid TV license was
>    arrested for watching *his* TV, even though she had no part in owning
>    the box.

I don't know about the UK, but in Holland the fee is paid per address. They don't care
how many tv sets or radios are in the house - one or more and you pay.

> P.S.:  I understand the reason for the license fee now, and now that I
> know the logic, I think I can actually agree with it.  Just not the
> extreme punishments.

Fine is 100%. So, if they don't catch you in one year, at least you broke even. But they
/do/ check...

Jerry

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand"
- Neil Peart (Rush) in 'Witch Hunt'