BOC new / aol chat / etc.

James Coburn cando at HIGHFIBER.COM
Sun Jan 19 21:45:09 EST 1997

>I have one advantage they don't have. I've been out of BOC for 15 years.
>I've had to struggle to survive. I've learned another trade (several
>actually). I had to start over again at 35, figuring out what I wanted to
>be when I grew up. I was in the position of a 20 year old who drops out of
>college with a wife and kid. I got a bunch of crappy jobs, went back to
>college and eventually got to where I was 5 years ago, financially stable,
>with enough time off to return to the music world. But this time it's only
>for myself. I don't have to make my living at it. I would like to break
>even on it, but that's not as important as my artistic integrity. Even if I
>do loose money, spiritually I can't loose. I still have my job, which I do
>enjoy on its own merits. Even if I had to leave my job to go on tour. I
>still have that teaching skill and I could get another teaching job in a
>minute.

Hey Al (or maybe someone who knows, John S?),

Thanks for sharing a bit about what you did / went through after the split.
I'm doing a little career change here myself, at 41 (engineering to
filmmaking).  My question is what exactly is your "job?"  Do you teach
music at a school or college there in NYC?  It seems it was mentioned in
posts several months back re mixing BoH in a/the studio at Hunter College
or some such thing.  Maybe I'll move back to the City and take drum lessons
from you (or guitar lessons (or keyboards (or sax))).  8-}.

Just curious.

James Coburn
Albuquerque, New Mexico