OFF: Silly laws everywhere

Chris Warburton desdinova at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 21 07:51:18 EST 1997

Lots of editing:
>QUEST wrote:
>> BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!  I can't believe it.  You Brits have to pay for a
--snip--
>Hehe, same as in Holland. But here you cannot be arrested for --snip--
>commercials. Far better programs as well - this accounts for both >Dutch and
British public broadcasting corps.

>Why not put this fee with the rest of the taxes, I don't know. People >without
tv do not have to pay, alright, but who doesn't have a tv, >you might ask.

>Jerry

In Britain, more than you'd think: after I left home, I never had a television
until I started co-habiting with the woman who became my wife, and I know a
number of people who didn't have TVs & were harassed over a period of time by
the licensing authority, who having no record of a license for the address kept
going back to check that there wasn't one hidden away somewhere.  There have
also been cases of people who successfully defended the position of only having
a TV for use as a monitor with one of the old-type home computers - the license
is not for the TV itself, but for RECEIVING broadcasts - I don't know if it is
still the case, but there used to be a radio only license dating back to the
days before TV: BBC radio is also funded from the fee.

Hope those ramblings made some sense...

Chris Warburton's Personal Mailbox

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"
                                               -R.E.M.