BOC: Re: Various thoughts of the day

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Tue Jan 21 22:30:31 EST 1997

>>> that aren't hardcore followers.....I know most of the times I've seen
the band, a large
>> majority of the people in the venues are people that probably said to
themselves "gee,
>> Blue Oyster Cult huh? I remember them. That would be a cool show to go
to." and probably
>> got a bunch of friends together to go to the gig.  How many of these
people are going to
>> come back the next time if they don't recognize the songs? Next issue,
the guys (at least

>I hate to say so, but you're at least partially right.  Witness the
>stream of punters to pour out of last month's show right after DFtR.
>They'd obviously heard what they came for, and split before the
>encores, which were, BTW, old songs.  OTOH, the new tunes did go
>over, though I don't know how true that would be if they'd played 5
>or 6 of them...
>theo

Yes... but no. You also have to consider that some of these people who come
for the "nostalgia act" may become new fans if they like the music enough
and - especially - if they discover that they are still releasing new material.
        And hey, honestly, how many people would expect an old band to
reform (considering that many actually think the band split) and not play
new material ?

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)