BOC: Various thoughts of the day

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Wed Jan 22 06:02:10 EST 1997

John says

>Well, I know that Buck was dissappointed with sales of *Flat Out* - I
>think he was hoping to establish his own music a bit at that time.

I tend to think this is the turning point in BOC's history - perhaps even more
so than Al's departure.  After _Flat Out_, we got, what three rather desultory
albums (although I may be alone in thinking that _CN_ was rather an upturn
after _RBN_)?

What if _Flat Out_ had been a hit?  Would DR have even stayed with BOC?  Would
CBS have supported another ex-BOC member to the extent of letting him record
and release his ambitious concept album in the form he wanted?  'Course, you
can still see EB hiring a bunch of nobodies and continuing to tour as "Blue
Oyster Cult"...

and Ted says

>My other post keeps coming back to me where I compared this to the Queens=
>ryche newsgroup...
>that and this list are possibly (at times) the two most negative list aro=
>und....

Now that's funny, because that's another group who used to rule but have since
disappeared up their own fundament (I'll tell you about the disastrous
semi-acoustic set at the Astoria in '94 sometime.  "This is for our benefit,
not yours" - G Tate.  And a few moments later, after a sharp intake of breath
around the auditorium, "Joke!  Joke!", but unfortunately it had had the ring
of truth.)  And where did they crib the idea of having an umlaut and a
quasi-mystical symbol, eh? :)

- Andy