off:Queensryche

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Jan 22 06:44:41 EST 1997

>> From:          Andrew Gilham <Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM>

> and Ted says
>
> >My other post keeps coming back to me where I compared this to the Queens=
> >ryche newsgroup...
> >that and this list are possibly (at times) the two most negative list aro=
> >und....
>
> Now that's funny, because that's another group who used to rule but have since
> disappeared up their own fundament (I'll tell you about the disastrous
> semi-acoustic set at the Astoria in '94 sometime.  "This is for our benefit,
> not yours" - G Tate.  And a few moments later, after a sharp intake of breath
> around the auditorium, "Joke!  Joke!", but unfortunately it had had the ring
> of truth.)  And where did they crib the idea of having an umlaut and a
> quasi-mystical symbol, eh? :)
>
> - Andy

I think Queensryche got bitten by the same bug that paralyzed
Metallica:  grunge-itis.  I think it blew their minds that a bunch of
barely proficient dudes could come along and get millions of people
to buy their discs.  These really technical guys must have been kind
of blown away:  look, we're playing our asses off, writing high
concept stuff with big production, and a bunch of  ugly dudes with
torn clothes from the Goodwill are stealing all our fans.  I wonder
if they all can recover from such a reality check?  And of course,
the kind of pompous attitude GT showed makes it all the more apropos
that he be hoisted on his own petard (a simile, some would say, for
the sound of Queensryche's music?)
theo