off:Queensryche

Wed Jan 22 08:49:53 EST 1997

>I think it blew their minds that a bunch of
barely proficient dudes could come along and get millions of people
to buy their discs.  These really technical guys must have been kind
of blown away:  look, we're playing our asses off, writing high
concept stuff with big production, and a bunch of  ugly dudes with
torn clothes from the Goodwill are stealing all our fans.  I wonder
if they all can recover from such a reality check?

True perhaps - but this is prevalent in most music.  Jazz and classical
musicians (well not all, but alot of 'em) are probably jealous of some
of these rock musicians who only know a few basic chords, perhaps don't
even know how to read music (horrors!), and are selling millions of
records, while they have to work another job or two to pay their rent.
Various musicians with some "chops" (like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai)
are viewed negatively by some musicians as being "all flash and no
substance".  We that grew up listening to the tunes of the 70's think
that alot of what's being played in the 90's is crap (and those guys
playing it in turn thought that what came out of the 80's was crap too).
And on and on.  They say the cream always rises to the top, but it
doesn't seem to happen to often in the music world, does it?  But,
some of that is more related to the business, than the actual music.

John