BOC: Re: Various thoughts of the day

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Wed Jan 22 14:19:30 EST 1997

> >Ted Alger <talger at PIPELINE.COM> said

> business.....such as the fact that right now, possibly the guys do see their market right
> now as a 'nostalgia act' until they get new material out....which would possible jeopardize
> their ability to make a living if they played too much material that is unrecognizable to people
> that aren't hardcore followers.....I know most of the times I've seen the band, a large
> majority of the people in the venues are people that probably said to themselves "gee,
> Blue Oyster Cult huh? I remember them. That would be a cool show to go to." and probably
> got a bunch of friends together to go to the gig.  How many of these people are going to
> come back the next time if they don't recognize the songs?

Nope, can't agree with this one. BOC have played the UK twice (that's 2, two,
II) in the last *seven* years. One night, one city, one medium sized venue
each time, with *very* little advertising outside of London. Touring overseas
must be a far more expensive business than shuttling round the states doing
odd gigs. I can't believe they'd stake a trip over here on a bunch of 'once'
fans goin on the off-chance. They're there presuming the UK die-hards will turn
up & go wild. At both gigs, the crowd feeling was certainly one of existing
fans
(even if it was their first BOC gig for a lot of 'em). Given that premise,
and knowing you have nothing to offer the fans but hollow speculation re: the
new album ;-) (Eric thankfully didn't say a word last time), I know what I'd
do in the bands position - give the crowd what they'd most enjoy. Now given
that BOC-L/AoL is a reasonable (!) cross-section of the said audience type,
what we ask for most the time re: gigs is a change in the setlist to include
a) new material b) renditions of songs we don't get to hear. Which bit is
difficult for them to understand ?

> My other post keeps coming back to me where I compared this to the Queensryche newsgroup...
> that and this list are possibly (at times) the two most negative list around....and I hate
> that because I love both bands....

I think Queensryche will survive, being a much younger band. After the awesome
Op:Mindcrime & generally excellent Empire, they just diddled around too long
and gave us the seriously unimpressive _Promised Land_. They need a string of
gaff albums to put the fire out, like er, um... :-)

Tim