BOC-L Digest - 21 Jan 1997 to 22 Jan 1997

Ted Alger talger at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Jan 22 21:46:16 EST 1997

>Say, where'd you see them?  They only did two gigs in Dec. if I
>recall correctly, and I saw them at Utica.  And you're right, they
>absolutely leveled the place exc. for EB's incredible shrinking
>vox...

I was at the York, PA gig on the 27th.  I wasn't too sure of how Eric's
vocals sounded, because as usual, he seemed to be kind of low in the
mix.  Could have had something to do with the fact that I was standing
in front Buck, right behind his monitor wedges! :-)

>I think what I said was that there was a perception on BOC-L that
>maybe, because we're generally more critical, we somehow feel more
>enlightened than the folks on AOL.  That was only a theory, and one I
>don't nec. believe to be true.

right, I understand thats what you meant when you said that...
>> (I know its not the exact context the comment was made in, but it fit)
is how I put it then - I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth :-)

>As for the newer people on the list, I've only been on the list for a
>year, I think, so I'm no oldtimer either.  And a lot of the biggest
>contributors are people without too much time in BOC-L...

well, as I said, I could be wrong about this, it just seems to be the
perception I've picked up over the last month or two that I've been on
the list

>>> again, I was being a little defensive, but the negativity on this list sometimes just
>> really gets my blood boiling.....especially with the "info" and comments that seem
>> to have a real hurtfull tone.....like the one about "the record company hearing what
>> they had and telling them to piss off".....gee, haven't heard that from anyone else...
>> where'd it come from, and if he's such a fan, why does he sound so gleeful about it?
>> rumors only make things worse, and stories about "I heard from so-and-so who heard
>> from someone else that this happened" really don't make things any better.  I would
>>
>That wasn't from me, but ya know, if the record co. execs heard EB at
>the gig I saw, I think they'd have legitimate doubts.  I think I
>would, and the guys one of my all-time heroes!

I didn't say it was from you.....and I won't rehash it and point any fingers.....
the point I was trying to make is this - when it comes to the record deal, I
believe probably the only people who could speak authoritatively on it, well
they're not on the list!  there are probably a couple sides to the story, and I
don't think we have any current members of the group or any members of
their management or record company on the list.  Kind of hard for anyone to
really say whats going on without it being a rumour, eh?
For the record, I asked Buck on the 27th (well, it was the 28th by then)
but at that time he said there was about 3 days worth of recording and
mixing to do before the album was done, which they would complete
after the swing out west.  He also said that the only hang up so far was
a US distribution deal.  Now, he may not have been telling me everything
- why should he? he doesn't know me very well, but I don't see any reason
for him to lie either.  I choose to look at this optimistically.

Ted Alger
That's Army stuff!
It's got nothing to do with us!      - Ernest Bilko
And we wonder how machines
Can steal each others' dreams