tBS: Jam Session

dench M.G.Dench at BTON.AC.UK
Thu Jan 23 04:18:04 EST 1997

I personally am a little wary of the whole unplugged concept.  I think it
is a great idea to hear songs that are usually electric performed in an
acoustic manner, but it seems completely pointless when they are performed
with drums, electric bass and lots of supporting musicians, such as the
Nirvana and Alice in Chains MTV broadcasts.  And the concept of Neil Young
and Bob Dylan unplugged seems a bit like taking coals to Newcastle.  It is
also disappointing when bands perform songs that were recorded in an
acoustic style, too.

And it is hardly a new concept - bands like Hot Tuna have been doing it
for 25 years, on and off.

What would be really worthwhile, and it does happen, I know, would be to
hear predominantly loud, electric bands perform their predominantly loud,
electric songs completely acoustically, with no supporting musicians.
Interesting choices, to my mind, would be Band of Susans, Prong, The Cult,
Lydia Lunch and Rowland S Howard, and, of course, BOC performing some of
their older material.  This is no intended criticism of tBS, I am certain
they would do a killer acoustic set - I just feel that it is a rather
overhyped 'concept'.

Martin