BOC-L Digest - 21 Jan 1997 to 22 Jan 1997

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Jan 23 08:45:42 EST 1997

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Ted Alger wrote:

> >>...and I may not be a BOC-L curmudgeon, but that doesn't mean I'm
> >>a 14 year old know nothing kid.
> >(Ummm...I don't recall anyone saying you were.)
>
> no, you didn't, but the impression I've gotten (maybe wrongly) is that some
> people on this list tend to ignore people that are new to this list, as theo
> commented, because they are " somehow more enlightened" (I know its not the
> exact context the comment was made in, but it fit) and I was a little annoyed
> because of the tone of some of the posts....again you didn't say that.
> my apologies, I was just venting again

        I must admit that when I joined BOC-L, there was a flame war of no
small degree going on, and that was one of the flames - "how long have
_you_ been on BOC-L?" - "how useful is _your_ contribution?" It was soem
time before I posted, because I felt as if I had to pass some kind of test
of worthiness. I should have known better. I've never caught abuse on this
list for saying what I wanted to say, and I doubt I ever will. Even with
the number of `OFF' threads I feed...
        Besides, I've been on long enough now for the thanks to BOC-L in
BoH to mean _me_, too! <claim to fame for grandchildren...>
        Jazza

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                     |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |
 |      "There's nothin' more dangerous than a wounded mosquito."       |