tBS: Jam Session

Thu Jan 23 09:08:25 EST 1997

I think most of tBS songs could be done acoustically, or in some other
form, and would sound fairly cool.  Music can be played in a variety of
ways and still sound good.  True, some songs in tBS repetoire (especially
some of the Trepanaion tunes) would probably sound best behind a thick
wall of guitars as they are today, but I think it's cool to take a song
and turn it around some how.  Sure, the whole "Unplugged" thing is kind
of a fad that eMpTyV decided to jump on and claim as theirs (but hey,
at least that's remotely connected to MUSIC - not like all the other
stupid stuff they do - I mean "singled out"?  Please!  Jenny McCarthy
may have nice t*ts, but they don't exactly make music, do they?).  Of
course tribute albums are also a recent fad that we could probably do
without.  I don't mind cover songs, but just getting a bunch of currently
hot artists to do an album-full of covers on one artist is a bit much
(sometimes they can be cool though).  To me, doing something "Unplugged"
can be cool, but it's not for everybody - it's like listening to studio
outtakes or something - it's interesting to hear a few times, but is
usually no substitute for the original - and it certainly doesn't seem
like it should be some sort of "fad" that MTV has made it.

Having said that, I think it would be cool to hear some tBS songs done
acoustically (or orchestrally, or even electronically for that matter).
Again, I think any of their songs could be done acoustically in some
form and be interesting, but here's a few additions to Brian's list:

Most Romantic Place in the World
(666) Devil Got Your Mother  (this could be really wacky)
Time Will Take Care of You
Hansel & Gretel
St. Vitus Dance
Date With A Guitar
Tender Was the Night
Donkey Show
Laura's Plastic Swords

As you can see, I picked a few "heavier" songs than Brian did (well, he
took all the mellower stuff ;-) ), but I think a heavy song can work
acoustically - it would at least be interesting to hear.

John