tBS: Jam Session and other things which go bump in the night

Mike Fuller mjf at GRAHAM.COM
Thu Jan 23 12:40:03 EST 1997

Jason> What is far worse is the rash of "Symphonic Music of (insert band
Jason> name here)" LPs popping up everywhere (as in the ludicrous notion
Jason> of symphonic Rolling Stones, Queen, and Toto(!) to name a
Jason> few...).

I agree, although I do think the Symphonic Pink Floyd comes across
pretty well.

Jason> In my opinion,the whole notion of Symph. rock was best explored
Jason> in a time long since past (Procol Harum's numerous dabblings,Deep
Jason> Purple's Concerto for Group and Orchestra,etc.). Its a far more
Jason> cliched thing to do these days.  At least with acoustic
Jason> performances as they have manifested themselves to date, the
Jason> original artists are actively involved in the arrangement of
Jason> material and play it.

Anything "fashionable" goes through cycles, though.  I've heard that, in
the early '70's, acoustic music became fashionable, and even Led
Zeppelin was accused of "selling out" to the trend with Zeppelin III.
Of course, this is just hearsay because, in the early '70s, I was more
concerned with Tinkertoys than the music industry.

Regardless of whether this is entirely true or not, after 20 years of
punk, hard rock, and heavy metal, we shouldn't be surprised that people
might "burn out" on the current sound, and in searching for a change of
pace, "discover" acoustic music, symphonic rock, grunge, etc.

--
                                Mike