tBS: Jam Session and other things which go bump in the night

Albert T Bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Jan 23 22:50:54 EST 1997

>Martin wrote:
>
>>I personally am a little wary of the whole unplugged concept.  I think it
>>is a great idea to hear songs that are usually electric performed in an
>>acoustic manner, but it seems completely pointless when they are performed
>>with drums, electric bass and lots of supporting musicians, such as the

Me too, but for tBS it was a logical thing to do because we've always
practised with acoustic guitars. This is how we work up new tunes. Once we
have 'em learnt' we crank it up. We were working up some new songs for some
of these =3 set= upstate shows and I got the idea to record it and see how
it was coming out. As you can imagine the songs that you'd think would be
good acoustic were only OK and the ones that were off-the-wall came out
great. I'm not going to say what they are because I'm not sure what or when
we'll make anything available and I don't want to spoil anyone's fantasy
either.

>Nonetheless, if the chance to hear the Brain Surgeons perform non-electric
>renditions of their tunes does arise, it ought to be interesting to hear
>how well (or (god forbid) badly, since we shouldn't put the stamp of
>approval on a product without inspecting it)they do in this sort of
>acousticified atmosphere.

These songs still need background vocals and mixing. I tried doing some
overdubs, thinking maybe Joe could play something on it, but so far just
the live instruments sound the best. We'll have to see if we can top the
vocals too but there's no rush for this one. Some of the songs are very
long, close to 8 min., so they might need to be shortened. I guess most
people on this list wouldn't get bored with an 8 minute song though ;-)

I guess I just want something interesting to do while I try to get these
spring and summer shows lined up and Deborah works on more pormotion and
getting an new distributor. Don't worry "we'll sell no wine before its
time."
Al