HW: Alan Davey

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Fri Jan 24 05:03:00 EST 1997

On 24 Jan 09:31, Jon Browne wrote:
> Erm, go and get "Captured Rotation" Alan's epic solo effort. It's the
> best Hawk-release since Electric Tepee IMO

I've listened to it exactly three times.  Once was when I bought it.
The other two were after people had posted remarks like the above to BOC-L.

Try playing "Captured Rotation" followed immediately by Disk 2 of "Love In
Space".  I found that "Xenomorph" had more energy than any of the rock
tracks on CR.  The drum programming on CR is impressive, but doesn't match
the live drums.  And Alan's guitar is fairly weak, especially compared to
the master.

I forget the exact track listing, but I think the second track on LIS
Disk 2 is "Blue Skin" - whatever it was, it impressed me more than the
faster instrumentals on CR.  Then came "Love In Space" itself, which
carries me away every time.  The use of samples of LIS is better too,
as are the lyrics and IMO Ron's vocals.

Alan is still a master of wave programming, and the spacey synth tracks
on CR are excellent.  But I can't agree that this is any more than just
another solo album, whereas HW have always been best playing together.

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.