Codex ideas???

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Fri Jan 24 09:54:46 EST 1997

William Duffy writes:

> On the subject of the Codex, it could be an idea to link it more
> closely to the other lists, such as the discography and the gigs list.
> The list could be just an A-Z of song titles, that are linked.  That
> way you would click on it, and you would have a list of where each
> variation of the song appears.  If you then click on the album title,
> it would list all the other tracks.  You could go even further and
> have links leading to the lyrics (copyright permitted, naturally).

> If you link in the live gigs as well, it would also list all the
> tracks, and would also say which ones appeared on albums, bootlegs,
> etc..  The Codex could even list all the videos, as well as all those
> other massive lists Bernhard has, such as band personnel.  What you
> would then have is the most complete listing available, with
> cross-references to everything.  It would also make it easier to find
> out what we want to know, instead of ploughing through all those other
> massive lists.

> Naturally, whosoever wants to compile this list would need a lot of
> spare time on their hands?

I havta admit I thought about it, but I don't have the time.  With a
team of about 20-30 interested list members each doing their part, it
could probably be done over a period of months.  The trick would be
reaching some form of less acrimnious decision making concerning format,
and someone taking some sort of charge in parcelling up the work for
others to do it.  Fortunately splitting large files into multiple linked
small ones is neither difficult nor hard to parcel up.  I'd be quite
happy to work with Sonique or whoever to do this.  A good start would be
to get the codex and discography linked and then add the lyrics with
password protection to limit those pages to list members only.  After
that we have our own experts on histories of various band members and
family trees, as well as live tapes, gigs and tours.  Getting the basics
up first would be a great start. I definitely suggest the codex and
discography with track listsings being linked. The best plan would be
for the person who's going to mount the pages to be a sort of project
leader. They can then break the work into small packages and write a
README on what to do. Volunteers could then easily help.

> William

FoFP