Alan Davey

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Jan 24 13:32:59 EST 1997

> I dunno. I figure that any band which has had over fifty members over 25
> years could easily continue turning over the membership and keep going.
> The trick would be to keep the music to the same spirit - that wouldn't
> be easy without Brock, but I doubt it'd be impossible.

        As we all know (?) Fairport Convention went through a period in
the mid-70s when it had _no_ original members and hasn't had more than
one original member at any time since 1971.  They're arguably most famous
album was made with only three original members in a six-member band (1969).

        And they're still slogging along :)

        I think it'd be easier for HW to continue without Brock if he
hadn't spent so many years as the driving force.  The success of Nik's
tour band shows it can be done to some extent.
        I dunno.  It'd be fun to be in a band that started out doing a lot
of HW covers and moved towards its own stuff.  Didn't Rush start out
basically pretending to be Led Zeppelin :)

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
Dept. of ASNAC, University of Cambridge            -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)