Codex ideas???

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Sat Jan 25 14:48:02 EST 1997

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Yuri Elik wrote:

> Sounds like a good job for a SQL server / WWW engine. I think that maybe

I suggested this way back when (but whoever listens to me, anyway;).

> I could do such thing (I'm a programmer and database programming is
> familiar enough), but as far as I understand, the problem is that has to
> be some SQL server at a site where these pages are supposed to be. Do
> you think it's possible? Oh well, maybe it's possible to find such site
> in SPb where I live... Let's see...

I think the problem does boil down to time in the end.  I have been
meaning to have a go at this task for ages now (check out the archives for
my suggestion [or maybe it was in private e-mail to FoFP]), but have never
managed to claw the free time to do it right.  Doing it "by hand" as is
currently suggested is not only too labour-intensive, but also leads to
too rigid a structure for the final product.  As you say, a database +
search/presentation interface is the way to go.

My research area is digital libraries, and there are plenty of good
systems around here that could host this effort (for example, we have a
multi-processor system with plenty of net bandwidth and 4 terabytes of
direct-access storage that we use for digital library research; would that
do?:), but finding the time away from other work is the main obstacle to
overcome.

> This way it wouldn't be such a great job. BTW does someone have codex
> and discography in some table form (something like album-song-version)?

A while ago I wrote an awk script to process the codex into table format.
I have the results as an MS-Access file with the contents of the codex in
with the fields SONG, VERSION (a la the codex), SOURCE (live/studio),
ALBUM for each codex entry.  Alas, my simple script did not preserve the
notes attached to some versions in the codex.

Would this be useful to you?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Gong, _You_