BOC: Northwest Tour

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Jan 30 10:21:13 EST 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> Jack writes:
>
> >For those of us that attend many shows, the set list is always going to
> be, "I wish they had played this or that". Myself, I can think of many,
> many songs I would rather here than the big three, however I do
> understand that the majority of the fans attending want to here those.
>

> Good point.  I will never complain about the fact the BOC will probably
> ALWAYS play "the big 3" at every show - I think one should expect an
> act to play their most popular (commercial) successes live.  And while
> we all have our favorites we wisht the band would play, my problem is
> not really with WHAT they play - but the fact that it has been the SAME
> for years.  I want to hear variety from one BOC show to the next - no,
> not every gig be different, but if I see 'em in 1995 and in 1996, then
> I would hope the setlist has changed a bit between those times.

Sure enough.  I doubt anyone would bellyache over the big 3 if they
got some rarely played live stuff in the bargain.  Hell, I'd trade
BFY [the only one of the big 3 I can't stand] anyday for a Quicklime
Girl...

> But, it is good to see recently a few other songs (Vigil, Shooting Shark,
> Golden Age, Lips in the Hills - at least until Eric's problems presumably

Yeah, Golden Age is a real treat.  I saw that a couple of times circa
Spectres, but that's been it.  When did it begin to reappear?

> worsened) find their way into the set.  I wish it wasn't so much due to
> Eric's voice, but it is a treat for the core fans to get something
> different.  And while it isn't the same, who can really complain about
> having more of someone like Buck?

Esp. the new songs.  They really were a treat for me last month.
First, 'cause it was the first I'd heard them in person, and also
because they were a breath of fresh air, and 'cause they're great
songs.  MORE NEW STUFF PLEASE at the concerts.  Trust your old
fans...

> Back to my previous point - other than "the big 3" and maybe "Cities on
> Flame", BOC could play ANY of their other tunes instead of the same ones
> that they've done for years, and I doubt anyone would complain.  While
> they are great tunes, would anyone's BOC concert experience these days
> be ruined if they didn't play ETI, Before the Kiss, Dr. Music, Stairway
> to the Stars, Joan Crawford, ME-262, . . . (I know, some have disappeared

Stairway is probably my fave BOC tune, but they didn't always play it
even in the old days.  RUR and DR. Music occasionally were the
opening tunes, and don't do it for me much.  But no, the gig wouldn't
be ruined if they dropped Stairway and added a couple of seldom
played tunes.  Funny, cause for all the times I saw them in the old
days, they never did Before the Kiss all that much, only a few times
at gigs I saw.  Just a coincidence, I guess...

Hey, and look at the bright side:  they seem to have dropped BTBW,
which is fine by me, as I have to listen to myself play it a few
times a week anyway, and I hate to embarrass BD too much [haw haw
haw]

> from recent sets due mostly to Eric's voice, I think) as long as they
> replaced them with some other BOC song that hasn't been done in years?
> I mean, what if instead of the above, they did R U Ready 2 Rock, Teen
> Archer, Dominance and Submission (well, ok, this is often in current sets),

Didn't they do Teen Archer for a while last year?  I've never heard
it live.  That would be something.  In fact I've never heard any of
side 2 of T&M live...

> Workshop of the Telescopes, 7 Screaming Dizbusters, and Dancin' in the
> Ruins instead?  First of all, people who only know BOC from "the big 3"
> wouldn't know the difference, fans who remember them from the 70s would
> still suddenly be taken down memory lane, and all the diehards who've
> been coming to shows over the last 10 years would go "hey, COOL!!".

Yes! Yes! Yes!  The big-3ers wouldn't care at all...
theo