BOC: Extraterrestrial Live

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jul 1 07:44:44 EDT 1997

 From:          Chris Warburton <desdinova at EARTHLING.NET>
> Peter Sondergeld wrote:
>
> >We don't mention this album much, do we?
> >When I first bought it I was quite disappointed. In fact, I thought it was a
> >very ordinary piece of work. Didn't play it for years.
>
> Very strange:  I loved it from day one, and I probably play it more than
> any of the later studio albums: a great combination of fun (Joan
> Crawford...always puts a smile on my face) doom& menace (VotPW &c.) &
> energy (Roadhouse Blues).  I felt it showed everything that was good about
> that era of the band.  OYFOOYK is great 'coz it's  so balls-out, but
> sacrifices some of the nuance of the three preceding albums,  ETL seems to
> retain a little more of that - a touch of maturity I guess.
>
> ChrisW

I listened to it a lot when it was new, as my addiction to BOC was
still roaring along.  Also, I saw several shows around the time those
songs were recorded and on the tour supporting ETL, so it made sense
to me to have it for a document.  OYFOOYK is great for its primal
energy and for including some songs that represent the band's live
show from that period that aren't around anymore, cf Ain't got You
and BTBW.  SEE is cool for representing the group at the height of
their commercial power.  And come on, that rendition of Astronomy and
[DF]tR...
theo