The Thing, Live Versions & Some more Savatage/Queensryche

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jul 1 11:22:28 EDT 1997

>> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>

> I must say Al is what really did me in on BOC when I first saw them.
> The guy is smacking his skins like they stole from him and belting out
> powerful vocals at the same time.  Everyone seemed to feed off Al.  Man
> this band was great.  A drummer who couldn't stop moving or playing, a

Even though I play guitar and am drawn to the guitar parts on
records and to guitarists in concert, I gotta admit that seeing Al on
drums was always a highlight of BOC concerts.  Before I ever saw them
I could tell he was amazing given the creativity he showed on the
early albums.  First time I saw them was between ST and OYF...Al was
every bit the showman as EB.  Maybe that's what has caused EB's
resentment of Al over the years?   I agree that Al's drumming led the
band, almost to the same extent as BD's gtr.  He was [and is] a great
stage presence...

> bass player with huge biceps and a menancing stare.  A guy clad in black
> leather, not posing but looking ultra kewl; a keyboard player with a
> cigarette dangling from his lips filling in where ever needed and this
> diminutive guitarist who's fingers didn't appear attached to his body
> playing the hell out of every solo.  Wish I could have measured the
> stage, don't think Buck moved more than 2 square feet the entire night.
> Yet the emotion and power just swept over the audience like a tidal
> wave.  Uh back to your point Al plays like he could care less if he was
> getting paid, "just let me play man."

AB, you've just summed up a typical Real BOC experience, and it
couldn't be stated better.  That was a magical time that won't be
recaptured.  We can still go and see 3OC and marvel at BD's playing
[IMHO he's playing the best gtr of his life right now] but the total
experience isn't close, I'm afraid.  Even the tours ca. ETL had lost
something, though Al had only been gone a short time.  The total muse
had flown...
theo