BOC, BRAIN: 2 things

Tue Jul 1 13:49:55 EDT 1997

1.  Review "The Thing"?  Well, perhaps at a future date.  Suffice to say
the setlist is in the FAQ, the sound quality is excellent and other than
the Krieger-version of "Roadhouse Blues", this recording should have been
used to make *ETL*, IMHO.  "Cities on Flame" (sung by Albert as this
was about 2 months before his departure) and "Hot Rails to Hell" sound
particularly good, and it's cool to hear "Fire of Unknown Origin" and
"Heavy Metal: The Black & Silver" live.  Only thing is that some of the
tracks (last 4 or 5 I think) are actually from the Old Waldorf show from
1980, and the edit occurs in "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" such that it
sounds like the band accidetally does the 2nd verse twice - however, the
edit is perfect so it is not sonically unpleasing -- until I learned of
the edit, I thought that Buck accidentally had sung the wrong verse after
the solo, and then the whole band came back on the 3rd verse without
missing a beat.  Perhaps I'll give this (and the other CD boots) a more
thorough review in the future . . .

2.  Those of you in the Pennsylvania/Ohio area take note -- the Brain
Surgeons are doing a gig in Altoona, PA in a few weeks (check my website
for more info:  http://members.aol.com/tbspostop ).  Here's the info at
my website:

Also, before heading west, you can catch the band in Altoona, Pennsylvania on July 12 at "The
       Un-Festival" at the Playhouse Theater, corner of 12th Ave and 15th St. Its an all ages show
       (bring the kids!) so the set time will be early, around 8 PM. Doors open at 6, and Deb
       recommends getting there early. For your $6 admission, you can hear 4 bands -- along with tBS
       you can hear The Discontent (who've been playing with Joan Jett a bunch), Jimmie's Chicken
       Shack (on Elton John's label), and the headliner is a new hot new group called Skeleton Key.

Sorry about the readability - I did a quick cut 'n paste.

John