off: the orb

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Wed Jul 2 11:14:29 EDT 1997

> >Bad:  Kula Shaker on saturday (shoot the soundman), The Orb (too
> >f--king loud),
>
>                            -------------
> Too loud?!?!?!?  Then wear earplugs next time!  The Orb are always good,
> and I expect them to be just as good and just as loud as they've ever
> been on July 20 here in Detroit!

I _was_ wearing earplugs !!! Maybe tinnitus is your bag but I'd like to
keep my hearing for a while longer. I dunno if the other Glasters folk here
had an opinion on the dance tent but in general it was staggeringly loud, the
only consolation being that most of the power was down in the bass. I think
the whole marquee roofing was a sub-woofer :-)
Anyways when the Orb played I felt my sternum flex on each beat.
Unfortunately beyond that, it was plain boring. I love the Orb on disc, but
in a live context they seemed to rely on a beat far more than the textures and
*music* that should sit atop that. I should have put up with the synth glitch
and watched the rest of the Prodigy instead.

BTW there were some extremely irresponsible people in the dance tent who had
very small children in tow, with unprotected ears. I'm sure the kids will thank
them in sign language at some future date.

cheers,

Tim