Brain: San Diego

Michael G Karschner pookadad at DELTANET.COM
Wed Jul 2 22:59:42 EDT 1997

Finally got through to the booking agent (Tim, 619-232-4355, hours 12-2
pm PT) at the Casbah (2501 Kettner Blvd, San Diego), and he confirms tBS
at his club on Friday, 01 August.  He said the band would probably hit
the stage about 9:30 or 10:30 pm--he wasn't quite sure of the time,
since there are 2 other acts that night, too:  a Belgium-based band
called "Deis," and a LA-based band called "Froggy Molly."  (Think that
was the name, anyway.)  Cover charge will probably be $7-$7.50, payable
at the door (no tickets).  That's the good news--a confirmed tBS date in
Southern California!  WOO HOO!!

Now the (maybe) bad news.  I swung by this club yesterday after I'd
picked up my BOC tickets for Cane's at Mission Beach, and was kinda
scared to leave my kids in the parked car.  The club is in a dumpy area
(not too far from airport) and looked.....well....I guess "seedy" would
be the word I'm looking for.  Right down to the transient sleeping out
front of the door.  :(   But hey--if Al and Deb are going to be there,
I'm going to be there, too, dammit!!  (Probably with my pepper-spray in
one hand and my Spyderco knife in the other!!  :o     )

Directions:  Get to the I-5 South anywhere north of the I-8 (the I-8
runs through the middle of San Diego) and head south.  Once you pass the
I-8, look for the Kettner Blvd exit (about a mile or so south of the
I-8.  Take the Kettner Blvd exit (which puts you, logically enough, on
Kettner Blvd, which is a one-way street), and continue south until you
get to Laurel St.  The Casbah is a red-walled club with an apartment
over it on the north-east corner of Kettner/Laurel.  Parking is
available at a parking garage across from the club on the west side of
Kettner.  Try to avoid the transients.  Hope to see a good online crowd
there.  :)

-- Mike