BOC: Mission Beach

Michael G Karschner pookadad at DELTANET.COM
Wed Jul 2 23:10:06 EDT 1997

Dropped down to Cane's Bar & Grill yesterday to buy my ticket for the 3
July show (After Bakersfield, this'll be my 3rd show in 16 years--2nd in
a week!!  I've really been missing out!!), and I've got two bits of
wisdom to pass on:

# 1  This club is small!!!!  I mean really tiny (well, compared to
Bakersfield)--probably fit 200,  maybe 250, people max!!  I called
(619-488-1780) down to get ticket prices ($12) and asked if I could get
them at the door, and the management said they didn't know, it might
sell out.  After seeing the stage area (about 1/2 the size of
Bakersfield's) and audience zone, I can believe it.  They must HAVE to
limit ticket sales.   Anybody wants to go, call the club, you might be
able to charge them and pick them up Will Call.

# 2  If you try to find this place using the street address (3105
Oceanfront Walk, Mission Beach) and a map, there is NO WAY you are going
to find it!!!  The club is part of Belmont Park (amusements, roller
coaster, restaurants), and THAT is in the 3100 block of  Mission Blvd.
(I found it when, after driving all over, I stopped at Belmont Park to
use a payphone, intending to call the club and get directions.  As I
walked to a payphone, I glanced at a nearby building, whose sign read
"Cane's Bar & Grill."  True story. <shrug> )  Directions:  Take I-8 west
from any of the connecting freeways (I-5, I-15, I-805, SR-163, or
SR-209) until you basically run out of land.  Just before that happens,
take the Mission Bay Dr West exit (same way as to SeaWorld) and continue
west on that.  Mission Bay Dr will dead-end at Mission Blvd and Belmont
Park.  Turn left, then right into a large parking lot.  Cane's is
furthers building west, right on the beach.  Cool rooftop restaurant.
Hope to see onliners well represented.

-- Mike

Oops!  Forgot some stuff!  Doors open at 8 pm.  Management (at least the
ticket seller/waitress/bartender I talked with) didn't really know what
time BOC was going on.  Ticket lists additional acts of "Mercy House"
and "No Bargain."  Then again, "No Bargain" might mean "no passes," etc,
instead of the name of a band.  <shrug>  One more day!