BOC: Born to be Wild, etc.

M R Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Mon Jul 7 10:13:46 EDT 1997

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, John A Swartz wrote:

>  drum solos (and bass solos too as don't forget Danny's
> "Monster Bass" solo precedes the drum solo) in such a shortened set make
> little sense.  They really should eliminate it to squeeze in one more
> song.

Since right back in the 70s, I have always felt a slight sense of
disappointment at the amount of time BOC spend on stage "wasting time" on
bass and drum features - and on jams that link one song with another that
take more time than either of the songs being linked - and on general
messing about. I'm not saying that all I want to hear is note-for-note
renditions of every track of T&M and ST, but I have come away from several
gigs feeling short-changed about the number of actual songs the band
managed to fit in during a set. I'd certainly rather hear 'Godzilla'
played straight without a drum feature every time.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man...

- Mike Godwin