HW: EMI remasters?

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Wed Jul 9 04:40:00 EDT 1997

My vote would be ISOS, which has the best packaging of any single
CD I've ever seen.  Also, the bonus tracks don't repeat any of
the tracks on the original album.

I find the digipacks are fine for the single CDs.  The Space Ritual
digipack isn't strong enough.  All the digipacks have proper "rosette"
CD holders, not just a slot like the disastrous Alien 4 digipack
(which actually scratches the CD!).

All of them significantly improve the sound quality.  I guess that
Doremi and HotMG are the most improved.  I still don't like the
original version of Brainstorm -- it's too slow and stodgy -- but
the rest of Doremi sounds excellent.  I suspect I'm in a distinct
minority disliking this version of Brainstorm, so take no notice!

The only remaster I kind of regret buying is the first album.  That's
because I never played it, and although the remaster is better quality
etc., I still never play it.  So another rule of thumb would be to
buy the remaster of your favourites first (assuming you already know
the music).

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.