Al's Vocals the Early Years

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Jul 9 12:16:53 EDT 1997

In the beginning I sang both songs whenever we played them live. I had
planned to record them that way and when I got into the studio I sang
Al said>Dominance first and that came out great and then I tried
Astronomy about a hundred times and got worse and worse each time.
Finally Sandy asked Eric to sing it and he did it perfectly in one take.
After that I think Joe took a crack at singing the verses (which he
wrote the music for) to get a
warmer tone than Eric but Eric still sang it the best. I believe the
definitive version of Astronomy is yet to be done.

I stopped singing D&S live because it was hard for me to sing and play
at
the same time. I don't know why but it seems easier for me now. Maybe
it's
the ear plugs? I sang Cities more mechanically back then so it was
easier
for me to get away with.
Al

Well if this did not come directly from your mouth/fingers no way would
I believe any of it.  D&S and Astronomy have always been central to my
theory that certain songs were better done by Eric and some by you.
Eric is great on Astronomy and I would have a hard time listening to
anybody else singing this.  Conversely I never listen to the D&S on ETL
(heck don't even have it on cd) as Eric's voice is not right for this
song.  In terms of difficulty singing and playing you could have fooled
me.  You really made this look easy the times I saw you.  The only other
drummer I have ever seen/heard who could play and sing as well is Gil
Moore of Triumph.  I've seen drummers chirp in on the chorus but leading
songs and drumming, well there's you and Gil.

BOC in Denmark?  Theo and John likely hit this one on the nose, somebody
is paying the big bucks for this to happen.  Bet in addition to the
standard set fee, travel, accomadations and equipment are being paid for
by somebody.  Though I can see why only these two shows, an extensive
european tour with out the extra expenses covered is more than likely
too costly.  Lets see $5,000 divided by 200 list members = $25.  Heck
people lets throw some cash in the hat and have the guys play a BOC-L
only show.  We can use Torgo's backyard. 8>).

L8er

lil' ab

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances.
He does not wear the "hello my name is" badge.
He strikes from below like a viper.
Or from up high like a penny being dropped from the tallest building
around.
He has but one purpose, to do bad things to good people with science!" -
Chromedome