HW: EMI remasters?

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Wed Jul 9 19:34:15 EDT 1997

Ron Jennings writes:

> That is slightly less than top dollar. (well maybe not, in your area.?)i
> have never seen them for less than $29.00 each. space ritual for
> something like 40$. Maybe they are only that high from MY

Well, maybe I should have said "a lot more than $100".  :-)  I think
I paid $30 apiece for the single disks and $40 for Space Ritual.

> > I thought that Hall of the Mountain Grill was the one that gained the
> > most through the remastering.  I suspect that this is because the
> > music on _Hall_ is more subtle and more complex than the others.
>
> I agree here as well. that HotMG did benefit the most. But i think you
> would be better with"In search of space,"  for no other reason than that
> it was the third one i listened to (i bought them all at once,)
> and yet was the one that we really got excited over.

Well, if we're going to talk about which one sent me into low earth
orbit, that would have to be Doremi.  Doremi has always been the most
"intense" of the early Hawkwind albums for me, and the remaster really
brings out the *density* and the *attack* of the notes.  Those
head-pounding chords at the beginning of Brainstorm, that absolutely
savage bass-attack in the middle of Time We Left...  there's nothing
like it.  And the remaster makes it sound like the band is THERE IN
YOUR LIVING ROOM.  I swear, the music enhancement techniques they used
are so amazing, that I would be willing to bet that the CD remaster
sounds *better than the original studio master tape*.

Between the Hawkwind remasters, the Black Sabbath remasters, the AC/DC
remasters, and now the Rush remasters... jeez, would they please stop
issuing remasters long enough for me to afford a decent stereo to play
them back on?!!  :-)

Steve
anybody wanna buy some non-remastered Black Sabbath, AC/DC, or
Rush albums?  :-)