HW: EMI remasters?

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Sat Jul 12 15:18:03 EDT 1997

Mike Ellis writes:

> > > That is slightly less than top dollar. (well maybe not, in your area.?)i
> > > have never seen them for less than $29.00 each. space ritual for
> > > something like 40$. Maybe they are only that high from MY
> >
> > Well, maybe I should have said "a lot more than $100".  :-)  I think
> > I paid $30 apiece for the single disks and $40 for Space Ritual.
>
> Check out RPM records at rpmrecords.com. They have the single disks
> for $25 and SR for $31 (order over a $100 and shipping is free,
> plus sales tax if you live in Texas)

I got them through CDNOW, back when they were still impossible to
find locally.

It's kind of sad, I live 20 minutes from J&R Music World, and about
40min from 66th St. Tower Records or the Times Sq. Virgin Megastore,
and CDNOW is *still* the most convenient and reliable way to get
hard-to-find albums.  They got me a copy of the remastered _Mob Rules_
(which I'd been unable to find anywhere locally), in less than a week,
even though they purportedly didn't have it in stock.

> There's also been a SECOND remastering of the Hendrix albums
> which the promo blurbs claim as being sonically better than the previous
> remasters only a couple of years ago ...

Argh.  Wait til the 24bit CDs start coming out in numbers, and they
remaster everything *again* (except BOC, of course!).  ;-)

I've given up trying to fight it.  I just accept that I'll never
catch up.  Ever.

Steve