hawkwind name

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jul 14 00:06:33 EDT 1997

Jon Browne writes:

> At least, it's certainly the recieved "official" story. I myself think
> there's a little more to than that. I still reckon "The Aeon Of Horus"
> (The Hawk-headed God) as described by Crowley (and variously called "The
> Age Of Aquarius" or just "The New Age") might have something to do with
> it. They were certainly aware of Mr. C at that time, and well, it's not
> something that people always want to discuss in detail.

I dunno - I suspect that had Hawkwind been into this at the time they'd
have made it wide open to discussion and probably done an entire concept
album based on Crowley and a deal else besides!   One thing you can
never accuse the band of is being backward at coming forward -
especially on subjects that just happen to be non-socially-pc at the
time.

Much as I would love to imagine the band sitting in a coffee house
sometime in 1968-69 intellectually discussing the esoteric depths
of Crowley I suspect the main, if not the whole, reason for existence
and life at that date was (1) to make really wierd music and (2) to have
a great time doing so and I'm fully inclined to accept the silly fart
story!   In fact I'm also inclined to accept something I was told once
that the "nose" bit is itself a gentle glossing-over of the real truth
of the name derivation since the "hawk" is the sound you make at the
back of your throat before you spit.

Jeez - I dunno - and, yes, does it really matter now?!

I can only say that Hawkwind were the reason why (when I was
considerably younger than now!) I saved up all my pocket money and
went out to buy my own personal record player so I could play their
albums safely in the sanctuary of my own room.   Prior to that the only
record player was in the sitting room where my parents always were
and playing Hawkwind albums in the presence of my father made me very
very nervous - I was always afraid he would start asking me for more
details about them and Hawkwind were a band I did not want to start
giving any background info on at all!

jill
obFreedom> childhood's end!
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk