More Danny & Live '76

Wed Jul 16 13:19:55 EDT 1997

> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>

> Well Theo my "Horse" (Galactic Cowboys "The Horse that Bud
> Bought')didn't come in yesterday which makes me extremely angry so I'll
> beat this dead horse issue a bit more.  I certainly read your whole post
> and agree with you. It has nothing to do with Danny's playing but rather
> the limitations they seemed to have placed on him.  Why can't Danny do

Come to think of it, Joe and Allen never said much on-mic between
songs, though Al always did.  In fact Buck never said all that much
in the way of stage rap back in the old days, though he did often
offer memorable intros to TCtLDoM, explaining the circumstances
depicted in the song.  Can't remember his saying too much aside from
that.  BTW, I for one am glad that Last Days...is back in the
setlist.  While BD always ripped on this song [damn, esp. during the
laser days with the 'stage bathed in flames' effect ca. Spectres
tour] he has seemingly found a way to elevate this one to a new
level, much like he is doing with Buck's Boogie nowadays...

> lead vocals on Cities on Flame or some of the other numbers that were
> reserved for Eric?  I think it would help their live performances if
> Danny were allowed to step up to the mic.  He could not sound worse than
> Buck trying to siong the rockers.

I guess it's just that these are EB's signature tunes, like Stairway.
 I wonder why they couldn't let Danny sing a song or two on the new
album?  But EB can still cut it in the studio, where stuff can be
repaired and spliced together.  It's live, where you really need some
guts behind your voice that EB is lacking.

Let me reiterate:  I think Danny's a major talent, and I think he
SHOULD BE given more of a presence in the band.  I just don't
perceive that as happening right now...

> >Live '76 is a great example of Al's over-the-top drumming.  And
> >finally, Stairway on a live record, though hardly a great
> >rendition...
>

> Again with the Live 76?  I remain unconvinced.  Is the Drumming any
> better than Al's passionate pounding on Feet/Knees?  What live version
> on this offering is better than anything on SEE, Feet Knees or even ETL?

I don't know that the quality of the music is any better, but Al is
really present in the mix.  He just sounds particularly savage on
this recording.  BTW, while we all know that Al is a bruiser on the
drums, it's significant that he always knew when to hold back to
create dynamics within the song.  On DFtR, he holds back during the
verses, to help build tension, then when BD's solo [studio version]
comes up, Al lets loose with everything to help propel that section
along.  If he just wailed all the time, he wouldn't be so effective a
drummer.  I actually think he plays a little conservatively on tBS
recordings, though not at the live show I saw!

>  To the FAQ editor, is Live 76 and official release?  I don't think it
> is.  I dunno on this one guys.  Certainly I think if I do use one off
> this offering I'll dub it from the video, sound quality may be a bit
> better.  But which song would you recommend.

Hmm...COFWRAR, Buck's Boogie...skip EB's rambling on D&S [though I
always dug it live, I don't esp. dig listening to it on a recording.
One of those things you have to experience firsthand, I guess...]

> Here is the initial track list for each Chronicle thus far:
>
> Chronicle 1 -
>
> From BOC
>
> Transmanicon MC
> Last Days of May
> Stairway to the Stars
> Redeemed
>
> From T&M
>
> OD'd on Life Itself
> Baby Ice Dog
> Mistress of the Salmon Salt
> Wings Wetted Down *
>
> From ST -
>
> Career of Evil
> Dominance & Submission
> Gagey Cretins
> Flaming Telepaths
>
> From Feet -
>
> Subhuman
> Buck's Boogie
> Cities on Flame
> ME 262
> Astronomy**

> * 50/50 on this one
> ** May cheat and use the SEE version.  Astronomy is a must for C-1
> however the live version is so compelling I may make this an exception.

Agreement on that one...

> C- 2
>
> From AOF -
> Vera Gemini
> Sinful Love
> Tatoo Vampire
>
> Specters
> Golden Age of Leather
> Serchin' for Celine
> I Love the Night
> Nosferatu
>
> Mirrors -
>
> The Great Sun Jester
> The Vigil
> I Am the Storm
>
> CE -
>
> Monsters
> Hungry Boys
> Lips in the Hills
> Unknown Tongue
>
> FoUO -
>
> Vengance the Pact
> Fire of Unknown Origin
>
> ETL
>
> Black Blade
> Roadhouse Blues *
> Joan Crawford
>
> SEE
> ETI
> Reaper
>
> * Well Swartz always uses the term "essential" when mentioning this
> song, guess I'm convinced it is. 8>).
>
> C3 -
>
> RBN
>
> Take Me Away
> Shooting Shark
> Feel The Thunder
> Dragon Lady
>
> CN -
> Dancin' in the Ruins
> Perfect Water
> Spy in the House of the Night
> Shadow Warrior
>
> Imaginos -Everything off this one.
>

> L8er
>
> lil' ab
\
What, no Godzilla?  I know we're all sick of it [also BFY but they
really did a great job on it last week, loathe as I am to admit it]
but isn't it really an 'essential' BOC song?
theo