BOC-L Digest - 16 Jul 1997 to 17 Jul 1997

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Jul 17 13:01:50 EDT 1997

>> Again with the Live 76?  I remain unconvinced.  Is the Drumming any
>> better than Al's passionate pounding on Feet/Knees?  What live version  on
>>this offering is better than anything on SEE, Feet Knees or even ETL?
>
>Theo>I don't know that the quality of the music is any better, but Al is
>really present in the mix.  He just sounds particularly savage on
>this recording.  BTW, while we all know that Al is a bruiser on the
>drums, it's significant that he always knew when to hold back to
>create dynamics within the song.

>John>I haven't paid strict attention to the drumming so I'd have to listen
>again to render an opinion, but I do remember that some of Al's work
>during "Astronomy" on *Live 1976* was exquisite - on the video during
>one part in Buck's solo, there's a split-screen shot of Buck soloing with
Al accentuating stuff on the drums and cymbals and I remember distinctly
>being impressed with that. {snips}  Now for an over-the-top Al Bouchard drum
>solo, go check out the Brain Surgeons live doing "I Play the Drums"!!!

Well cetainly Al is capablable of banging the skins, its just that I
don't really "hear" anything special about the songs on the video, what
you see is great but the hearing is a different story.  True Stairways
appears on Live 76 and the version of Astronomy makes it a good setlist.
 However for over all sound quality I don't think either would translate
very well.  If I garner his interest in the Cult I'll let him watch the
video so he can identify the players.  First part is to gain the
interest.  Now I agree with both of you on Al' style of playing. He
know's when to cut loose and when to blend.  I have heard "I Play the
Drums" Live and this is one monster tune.  If I am ever fortunate enough
to catch tBS live I really hope this one is in the setlist, if not let
it be known now, "that loudmouth jerk screaming at you Al was 'lil ab"
8>).

>>  To the FAQ editor, is Live 76 and official release?
>>
>>Hmm...COFWRAR, Buck's Boogie...skip EB's rambling on D&S [though I always
>>dug it live, I don't esp. dig listening to it on a recording.
>One of those things you have to experience firsthand, I guess...]

Hmmm Cities I prefer from Feet, same with Buck's Boogie.  D&S has to be
the ST version.  I've never heard a better one.

>John>Dunno about all the business of releasing stuff in different countries,
but I believe Live 76 is a legitamite release (Castle Records, UK), and
>not a bootleg (it's much more easily available than something like *The
>Thing*, and Castle is a legitamite record company, yes?).  It is not a
release from Columbia/CBS/Sony as far as I know."

Well this may resolve the issue for me.  Think I will leave it out of
>the mix then.
>

>> Here is the initial track list for each Chronicle thus far:
>> From Feet -
>>
>> Subhuman
>> Buck's Boogie
>> Cities on Flame
>> ME 262
>> Astronomy**
>
>> ** May cheat and use the SEE version.  Astronomy is a must for C-1
>> however the live version is so compelling I may make this an exception.
>>
>Theo>Agreement on that one...

Its such a great version I think it has to be in there.  Format of the
tape will be studio songs with all the lives one grouped at the end.
This is for C1&2.  C3 is Imaginos.

>Theo>What, no Godzilla?  I know we're all sick of it [also BFY but they
>really did a great job on it last week, loathe as I am to admit it]
>but isn't it really an 'essential' BOC song?

"zilla at this time i a maybe.  Its the one song I know he's familiar
with.  For my money if I heard it once every five years it would rule
once again.  BFY is rather ordinary (IMHO) while it was a radio hit, I'm
after what really made BOC a unique band.  This is not going to be a
greatest hits package.

John>As for your overall list, we could all come up with our own "must
have" list of BOC songs, and we'd all come up with some slightly
>different. Your list is probably as good as any other - of course WOTT made
some serious sins of omission so I'd have to say yours might be better
than that -- of course, you left off Hot Rails to Hell as well, so you
>better add it!! ;-)

Ok as of this pointsome of  what I've selected has some narrow purposes.
 With the early stuff it wasn't all pedal to the metal slash and burn,
thus song's like Redeemed, Wing's Baby Ice Dog etc.,  Same for the
middle years they were not all radio ballads.  I never imagined I would
use as many as three from Mirrors.  The Vigil has been termed "an
essential" by a good friend though I'm not as fond of it.  Conversely I
looove Bucks guitar tone on both Sun Jester and I Am the Storm.  I think
the change up in Storm is priceless and shows just how easy it was for
the band to shift gears.  Caught me on Hot Rails huh?  Fear not, right
now I'm struggling to get my tape/cd program to work on this machine.  I
haven't even timed these out yet to 90, 100 or 110 tapes.  Final setlist
will have Hot Rails on there and one , but not both of either 'Zilla or
BFY.  I also feel a strange urge to include more from CE.  No Marshall
Plan mind you but perhaps either Divine Wind or Fallen Angels.  Now if
my musical director would return from the beach I 'll have the final
list narrowed and give him ten minutes to determine the song order.
Guys is so good at song order this thing will sound better than what you
can buy in the store.

Thanks for the comments guys.