HW: SR Q's

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jul 21 06:41:01 EDT 1997

Ian R Fines writes:

> Hello:
>
> After looking at the pictures contained within the booklets that came
> along with the remaster SR, I have a few questions.

can't really answer the other questions until I've checked the booklets
but:

> 3) Does anyone notice the slower pace and lack of energy in the "Master
> of the Universe" bonus track?  Why is this version so much worse and
> less-blanga-ed than the one originally included on the disc?
>

>From the codex -

Master Of The Universe
 L  1     In The Beginning
 L  1     The Text Of Festival
 L  1     Welcome To The Future
 L  1     Live '70/'73
    2     X In Search of Space
    2     Masters of the Universe [UA Compilation]
    2     (The Best of) Psychedelic Warlords
    2     The Best of Hawkwind [EMI Metal Classics cassette]
    2     25 Years On [Griffin 4-CD Set]
    2 a   US  double 7" EP
 L  3     Orgasmatron
 L  4     Greasy Trucker's Party
 L  4     Weird 106 - Hawkwind 1970-73
 L  4     Assassins of Allah LP
 L  4     Dawn of Hawkwind CD
 L  4     Space Ritual Alive [remastered CD only]        <<<<<<<
 L  5     BBC Transcription Disc LP
 L  5     Space Rock from London
 L  5 a   BBC Radio - Live In Concert CD
 L  6     Space Ritual Alive                             <<<<<<<
 L  6 a   Space Ritual II
 L  6 a   Hawkwind Live  [Imtrat]
 L  6 a   Ridicule
 L  6 a   Early Daze
 L  7     Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Garagin
 L  8     Weird 102 - Hawkwind Live/ Hawklords
 L  9     Live '79
 L 10     Hawkwind at Glastonbury 1981 [Cassette]
 L 11     Solstice at Stonehenge 1983
 L 12     Motorway City/ Master of the Universe 7"
 L 12     Ironstrike
 L 12     Castle Masters Collection
 L 12     Spirit of The Age ["Elite" compilation CD]
 L 12     The Hawkwind Collection
 L 12     Masters of The Universe [ Marble Arch Rock CD]
 L 12     Night Riding
 L 12     The Hawkwind Anthology Vol. I
 L 12     Acid Daze Vol. I
 L 12     Best of Hawkwind
 L 12     Space Is Deep
 L 12     Live & Rare (Onward Flies The Bird)  (Masters of the Universe)
 L 12     Hawkwind: Master of the Universe [Pulse CD]
 L 13     Live Chronicles
 L 13     Hawkwind Anthology triple CD box set [Castle Communications]
 L 14     Bristol Custom Bike Show
 L 14     Assassins of Allah LP
 L 14     Dawn of Hawkwind CD
 L 15     Live At Reading '86
 L 16     Undisclosed Files   [LP Only]
 L 17     Timeless Paens From The Ongoing Rituals of Space [bootleg CD]
 L 18     The Secret Tepee [Bootleg CD]

      *   2a is a cut version of 2
      *   5a is a remixed version of 5
      *   6a is a different mix from 6
      *   there are two versions of Masters of the Universe on Assassins
          of Allah LP and Dawn of Hawkwind CD

As you will see - version 4 is the original first-time-ever-officially-
recorded-live version of MotU which was the one done at the Greasy
Truckers gig.   This is the gig which made the band famous (in effect)
since the original Silver Machine was recorded here too.   MotU isn't
*that* bad - what it lacks in 'blanga' it makes up for in laid-backness,
which is how things were then.....   Listen to the In Search of Space
track!

8-)

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk