BOC Remasters

Mon Jul 21 07:56:54 EDT 1997

 From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>

> Do artist royalties ever stop on sales?  By this I mean did/does the
> standard recording contract give artist a a royalty based on a number of
> times a song is sold before all revenues go to the record company?  If
> so maybe we will never see remasters if Sony has to share the proceeds
> with the bands.  They'd have to sell a ton of copies just to cover the
> cost of remastering, pressing and distribution.  Add the artist share to
> these costs and Sonmy probably begs off unless they license someone else
> to take the risk.

I'm not sure about how this works.  I believe Sony 'owns' most of the
BOC catalog.  Not sure how this impacts the band.  Sounds to me like
the band essentially signed off on most of the songs.  I was told by
someone, that the band still owns the songs on CC, hence the desire
to re-record them without having to share with Sony.  Sony may have
given them a lump payment for the material.  Al would know if anyone
would, and he could explain the machinations of the music biz better
than I can.

If Sony does have full rights to the catalog [or most of it] then
they could indeed issue remasters and make some money off it.  I
don't know how expensive a process this is, or if there is a
sufficient market out there to support such a project.  But given the
way Sony has been releasing re-masters lately [c.f. the Byrds
catalog, which includes lots of new material, alternate takes, etc,
BTW] then I suspect that it must be a cost-effective enough operation
even if they don't sell millions of product.  MHO only...

theo