offshoot bands

C Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Mon Jul 21 20:49:43 EDT 1997

> Spacemen!  (And Spacewomen!)
>
> I'm looking for some recommendations for some of the Hawkwind
> offshoot bands, especially those on the Cleopatra label.  I've
> sampled a few, and while I've found some goodies (Spiral Realms),
> I've also been stung (Nik Turner's _Sphynx_).  Just for more
> background, Melting Euphoria's _Upon the Solar Winds_ didn't
> do much for me, and I think that if you've heard a couple of
> Ozric Tentacles CDs, then there's no need to buy their entire
> catalog (I have _Pungent Effulgent_ and _Strangeitude_).  I
> haven't met a Hawkwind CD that I didn't like, except for _The
> White Zone_.  I have over 50 Tangerine Dream CDs.
>
> Based on what I've heard on Cleopatra's _Space Box_ set, I'm
> tempted to pick up these:
>
>     _The Eternal Sky_ by the Anubian Lights
>     _Explaining the Unexplained_ by Pressurehed
>     something by Helios Creed or Chrome

Pick up Helios Creed's "Lactating Purple" and "Planet X" on the Amrep label
- really good stuff, a sort brilliant of punk-spacerock. The only other
releases I have of Helios Creed are "Kiss To The Brain" and "Cosmic
Assault" which are okay, the latter a more industrial-ish affair.......
Anubian Lights are also decent, in full esoteric egyptian groove.....
There's alot of Cleopatra stuff with tinny sound and crap artwork for some
reasons... with exceptions.

> (I'm especially interested in the Anubian Lights CD, as it is
> available in a local store.)

Worth picking up.......

> I don't want to end up with something like _Sphynx_, which did
> little for me (largely due to Turner's vocals), or anything
> too industrial (I get the impression that the earlier releases
> by Pressurehed and Helios Creed fall under that category).

Again, it depends on taste. Helios Creed is great stuff, and the original
Sphynx from '78 is excellent esoteric cosmic spacerock with various Gong
members.... Not too sure about the remake which I haven't heard, or
Pressurehed for that matter. Turner's "Phrophets Of Time" is bloody awful,
but "Past Or Future" is EXCELLENT. **Great** spacepunkfuzzboogie of
HW/Calvert/Anubian material. Sometimes Turner's vocals work well when he
veers into punkrock. Also, amazing CD design.... I hear Turner's "Space
Ritual" is good, but I don't have it...... yet!!

> Also, what Darxtar CD should I start with?

I only have two, "Daybreak" and "Sju". I'm not sure I'd recommend the
first, but "Sju" is definetly worth checking out.

> PS:  One more thank you for all the replies I received
>      regarding my HW EMI remasters questions.  I just
>      came back from the RPM Records WWW site, where I
>      ordered ISoS, Doremi, and HotMG.  I just hope that
>      they can get all of them...

Ah, the best way to keep that wallet nice and trim is with Hawkwind......

Christian