BOC Remasters

Tue Jul 22 09:40:57 EDT 1997

> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>
> Theo said>If Sony does have full rights to the catalog [or most of it]
> then
> they could indeed issue remasters and make some money off it.  I
> don't know how expensive a process this is, or if there is a
> sufficient market out there to support such a project.  But given the
> way Sony has been releasing re-masters lately [c.f. the Byrds
> catalog, which includes lots of new material, alternate takes, etc,
> BTW] then I suspect that it must be a cost-effective enough operation
> even if they don't sell millions of product.  MHO only...
>
> Understood.  Still if they had to pay the band royalties for this then
> thats just more on the cost side of the ledger.  I think that unless
> Sony thought they would make TONS of money they will not bother with the

I know what your saying, that's why I can't understand them doing
this with the Byrds catalog.  How much do they figure on making off
that project?  Are there that many more Byrds fans out there than BOC
fans?  Maybe Sony owns everything contained on the Byrds stuff.
Interestingly enough, about the only Byrds stuff not remastered is
Untitled.  Maybe 'cause it's half live stuff?  Maybe Sony doesn't own
rights to that material?  I have no way of knowing.  Bur in any case,
the Byrds remastered project is a real quality operation, e.g. new,
expanded liner notes and photos, all original artwork, extra cuts and
alternative takes.  If they did this kind of thing with BOC, BOC-L
would melt the ethernet wires, I expect!...

> project. Years ago after they had stopped playing, Mike Levine purchased
> the rights to all of Triumph's catalog.  Each disc was remastered and
> reissued.  Levine even played around somewhat with the track listings,
> hence two different titles called "Rock n' Roll Machine." Now all sales

Wonder how good an investment that deal wound up being for him?  A
lot of Triumph's material has been languishing in the cutout bins
around here for quite a while, and I live only a few hours away from
Toronto.  Granted Syracuse is a shit town for supporting any music
other than Blues [maybe the horrible weather makes them blues fans?]
though BOC always did great here in their heyday [we're only about 5
hours from NYC--maybe that's why 3OC still hits the area fairly
regularly?]...

> on the TRC label go directly to his pockets.  Seeing the BOC catalog in
> Al or Buck's hands would be wonderful.  Remaster and repackage (with
> lyrics) and perhaps add a demo or other song to each as a bonus.
>
> Off topic:  Its official, King's X joins fellow rockers Galactic Cowboys
> on the Metal Blade label.  Three album deal.  Kewl.  In addition, the
> new Savatage is invading soon.
>
> lil' ab

When can we expect an album from KX?  And what's Ty's solo disc like,
BTW?

And why hasn't BOC hooked up with CMC, a really cool label that has
no problem making deals with other Dino bands, and even put out this
year's Summerdaze disc?  Ya gotta wonder what's up with 3OC's
management.  If ever a band was tailor-made for a label, this is
it...

theo