BOC: John Shirley's new CD

Wed Jul 23 13:26:04 EDT 1997

Just wanted to say that I got John Shirley's new CD "Red Star" by his
band, The Panther Moderns.  (don't know who John Shirley is?  let's just
say his name may be all over Ezekiel's Wheel)  Rather interesting.  John
reminds me a little bit of David Roter in terms of lyrics and the way he
sings -- is he a genius or a madman?  You decide.  Very cool stuff, and
quite a different musical take on the lyrics "I'd Like to See You in
Black".  I'd be hardpressed to describe the music, but i guess yo could
say the CD is a mix of punk, heavy rock, techno, and funk, all which
blends nicely with John's lyrics and delivery.  There's a link to his
site in the BOC FAQ, should anyone wish to check it out.

John