off: Basses

Thu Jul 24 07:45:10 EDT 1997

> From:          Ian R Fines <ianfines at JUNO.COM>

> >Theo said>Funny, as the Hagstrom had a pretty thin neck considering
> >its
> >configuration.  And The Hamer 12 string is actually narrower than a
> >six string bass, albeit the principle of operation is entirely
> >different...
>
> I played a Hamer 12-string last night, actually.  It is a regualr
> 4-string neck (width wise), maybe a little wider.  It seems that there's
> two guitar strings to every bass string.  Kind of annoying to play, since
> I don't use a pick and the 12-string sort of sounds better w/ one.

That's what I remembered about them.  Actually, I think the guy in
Cheap Trick is using another 12 string these days, maybe in addition
to the Hamer.  But Nielsen [and yours truly] buys enough Hamers to
keep them in business for a while!

I don't remember if Petersson uses a pick or his fingers.  Also, he
only uses the 12-string on a few songs each night...

theo