Basses and strings and picks (oh my)

dahl dahl at AROS.NET
Thu Jul 24 09:40:41 EDT 1997

> I don't remember if Petersson uses a pick or his fingers.  Also, he
> only uses the 12-string on a few songs each night...

He used it on every song they played on a VH1 concert just a few months
ago, and he used a pick on every song.  Bass Player had an article on him a
couple of months ago (it's the issue with the guy from Live on the cover).
He sounds like a weenie (as far as bass playing goes).

I borrowed an 8 string for a gig once (and loved it) and found that not
only do you have to use a pick to get it to sound like an 8 string, but you
always have to down pick to get a consistant sound.  It also wore 2 grooves
in each finger so when I switched back to the 4 string the strings didn't
feel right.  I was playing in this HUGE high school gymnasium (Placentia
High in SoCal) and it really filled up the place.  It also helped that I
had an Ampeg SVT with both cabinets.

Oh yeah, back then (1980?) we were playing RU Ready 2 Rock, Godzilla, ETI
and Born to Be Wild (BOC style).  We didn't play any Hawkwind.  The kids
could never figure out how to dance to it!

Brad