other: cable modem (was RE: OFF: Runaway Train film)

Allan T. Grohe, Jr. AGrohe at IGATE.SPRINT.COM
Fri Jul 25 09:23:36 EDT 1997

Hey Craig, and everyone,

What do you think of the cable modem?  I'm sick of my crappy local isp,
and don't have internet access @ work save for email (no web, telnet,
etc.).

I'm thinking of switching to cable modem, but the costs for me are
pretty high:  you have to already have basic cable ($25/month), then an
additional charge of $40/month residential or $75/month business cost,
with a $75 modem deposit and $25 install fee.  Ugh.  The blurb says you
get linespeeds of 500kb/sec (63K), but the throughput is less since the
lines are shared.

What experience have you (or anyone else :-) had with the cable modems.
Are they worth the $65/month?

Allan.

Allan T. Grohe, Jr.              agrohe at igate.sprint.com
http://www.rpg.net/ehp/imrryr    iscladoc at idir.net