The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal

Fri Jul 25 15:27:29 EDT 1997

 From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> O.K., I've been meaning to give fellow-BOC-Ler Martin Popoff a plug
> here for his new book, "The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal", which
> is an expanded and updated version of his earlier work, "Riff Kills Man".
>
> Before I say anything else, I'll say this:  BUY THIS BOOK!!
>
> I personally am not one who thinks that reviews of music are really
> very meaningful, since it is such a subjective thing as to what is
> "good" and what isn't (or what "sucks" and what doesn't).  And, there
> are various places where I would disagree with the author's review
> (his less-than-enthusiastic review of one of my favorite albums of
> last year, Rush's *Test For Echo*, is a case in point that I discussed
> some months back on this forum), but to me, the numerical score he

Whoa!  I'll run out and buy it today!

> gives each album is really not the point of reading this book.
>
> The real kicker for me is Martin's "call 'em as I see 'em" approach to
> reviewing just about everything that could be considered heavy metal or
> hard rock, with some witty and insightful commentary.  Martin and I are
> about the same age, and its interesting to see his thought processes
> at work in his reviews - and whether you agree with his overall assessment
> of your favorite album, I liked the way he went about it -- he puts a lot
> of things in perspective, historically, how the album may or may not have
> faired sales-wise, what may have been going on with the band at the time,
> and shows an aprreciation for most of the various sub-genres of hard
> rock -- this guy can have good things to say from everybody from Deep
> Purple to Alice in Chains to Metallica to the Infectious Grooves.  Some
> of his admitted biases do show - some bands he almost considers incapable
> of a truly "bad" record (BOC, one of his favorites, gets this semi-
> pedestal treatment, but as a BOC fan myself, how could I complain?),
> while other bands have albums that span the entire rating range (0 to 10),
> where one album may get a perfect "10" rating, and another may get a "0"

I think I saw this book a little while ago.  He does rave about BOC,
doesn't he?  Loves BOC and pans Rush:  there is order in the universe
after all.

> BOC-L members may especially find it interesting that all of BOC's albums,
> along with Buck's *Flat Out*, Deadringer's *Electrocution of the Heart*
> (a Joe Bouchard project after he left BOC), and all 3 CDs by the Brain
> Surgeons are reviewed here (Martin makes it known to the readers that
> while a good album, *Flat Out* is probably the lightest album that he
> reviews in his book).  Martin also reviews Hawkwind's catalog (or at

Pretty light, but hardly lightweight.  Has a re-mastered Flat Out
been released?  I heard rumors to that effect.  Also what about the
recent concert in Atlanta?  Wasn't there supposed to be a disc and
video of the show to help with the benefit?  I'd like to help out if
I can...

> I've enjoyed pouring through this book - I don't know how many CDs I'll
> buy (or not buy) based on this book, but for me, that's not the point.
> This book represents some great thoughts as to why someone likes or
> dislikes various albums by heavy artists -- I've said in the past that
> what I like about BOC-L is that a lot of us talk about not just that
> we like this album or that album, but WHY we like it - and hey, if I
> agreed with everything the book says (or with everything we say on
> BOC-L), then there'd be no point in reading (and little point in posting
> here) - this book is informative, thought provoking, and at times fun,
> and provides some insight into various events in heavy metal's history.
>
> Did I mention you should buy this book?  ;-)
>

> John
>
> PS:  The book is available at Barnes & Noble, and possibly some other

That's where I saw it.  On my way after work!
theo