Days of the underground/talk to Michael Moorcock!

Tony A. Rowe HawkLord at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 25 17:55:15 EDT 1997

n article <yam7134.2778.5687120 at mail.vossnet.co.uk>, Si
>  <sihalley at VOSSNET.CO.UK> writes
>  >
>  >I thought it was Smiling Micheal according to the lyric book. I think I
> read
>  >that It was a real person but not Moorcock.
>  >
>  >Si

Well now THIS should put this discussion to rest!  I took a vacation down to
San Diego last weekend to attend the San Diego Comic Book Convention.  Who do
you think was there promoting the new comic book series that he is now
writing?

It was Michael Moorcock with DC promoting his new Michael Moorcock's
Multiverse comic!  He had a panel in which he did nothing but field questions
from the audience (he didn't even plug his new series!  he actually just took
questions from the audience!  it was so refreshing!).  One of the questions I
asked him was... are you Smiling Michael with the Black Motorcycle from Days
of the Underground?

He said no.  He went on to explain that Smiling Michael was a friend of his
and the members of Hawkwind who was always happy (hence the name Smiling
Michael).  He lived near where Moorcock and Hawkwind lived, and was fairly
well known in the music community of the area.

One day, Smiling Michael decided that he wanted to go to his apartment.  For
some reason that was never adequately explained by Moorcock, Smiling Michael
thought that climbing up the side of the building was the best way to get to
his apartment.

He lost his grip, fell, and impaled himself on some wrought iron fencing.
 Ouch...

"That's what you get for optimism," said Moorcock.

However, I forgot to ask about the black motorcycle.