BRAIN: Portland, Oregon 9/26

Kevin Haskel Rubin gnome at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Jul 27 05:05:15 EDT 1997

Well, I just got back from seeing The Brain Surgeons in downtown Portland
tonight.  They were great, a lot of fun to see.

I didn't keep track of the set list, but they played about half their songs
and half BOC songs.  They also had a special guest, Richard Meltzer, who
came on stage and read one of his poems while they made quiet noise in the
background (and a very weird poem it was).

On "I Play the Drums" Al came running around the whole place  and played the
drums on just about every table that had someone sitting there, as well as
many other surfaces around.  I thought that was pretty neat and fun, but the
guys behind me thought it was stupid and immature, so they left.

The place, Berbati's Pan,  was tiny, but still seemed pretty empty with only
around 30-40 people there.  Maybe it's normally more crowded, but there was
a brew festival in a nearby park this afternoon, so lots of Portlanders were
probably home passed out by then.

It was great fun.  The last live music I'd seen was in 1975 when my parents
took me (around 5 years old) to a bunch of concerts in Central Park...
Though I was a little uncomfortable, being in a bar by myself for teh first
time...

-kevin
Kevin Rubin aka 3999RK60 RU5M7I                         gnome at teleport.com
http://www.teleport.com/~gnome