OFF: Jethro Tull

Marshall Wood mwood at SLICE.AGILE.COM
Wed Jul 30 12:13:10 EDT 1997

>>Like A Man, Jethro Tull/Locomotive Breath...
> This leads to another Q... when I visited Helsinki for two weeks ago I
>saw a remastered version of the Aqualung album... has anyone heard/bought it?
>Is it worth buying?
>It contains several bonus tracks of which at least one is a left-over from
>the Aqualung sessions.

Yes, I have it.  The sound quality is quite good, and the
packaging is decent.  My only complain with the packaging
is that the sleeve that the jewel box slides into doesn't
have any printing on the spine - so it's the only CD in
my entire collection that is blank on the edge.  Strange.
Other than that, they seem to have restored the original
LP packaging, including lyrics, and added some press
reviews of the album from its time of release.

The bonus tracks include a semi-interesting interview
with Ian Anderson, which you'll listen to 3-4 times and
then never again, and "Lick Your Finger Clean", a track
which was originally recorded in the sessions for this
album, but was left off, and later appeared in a slightly
reworked form on _Warchild_ as "Two Fingers."  The original
track also appeared on the _20 Years of JT_ boxed set (BTW,
this 3-CD set is a must-have for all Tull fans).  Other
bonus tracks include "Fat Man," "Bouree," & "Song for
Jeffrey", all recorded live at the BBC.  All three are
also identical to the versions on the _20 Years_ set.

The last bonus track is and alternate version of "Wind Up,"
taken from the quadrophonic release of _Aqualung_.  It does
sound a bit different, with a completely different vocal
track.  My problem with this track is that the sequencing
is bad - it comes only one track away from the original
version.

My personal rating:  collectors and completists only.
Others would be better off buying the _20 Years_ set.
Then again, if you don't have _Aqualung_, you might as
well get this one, given the opportunity.

BTW, I've seen a similar re-issue of _Thick as a Brick_
recently, as well.  Two bonus tracks, I think.  Anyone?

MWood

NP: _Spektakel_ - Spektakel