BOC: Theremin, now E-bow

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Jul 30 20:40:36 EDT 1997

> > Not really an instrument, but both BD and EB have used an e-bow,
> > during Reaper and Godzilla, and maybe others, but I can't remember
> > just now.  I saw them using E-bows circa Spectres, so I got one and
> > duplicated the appropriate parts for those songs, which my band was
> > playing at the time.  I got the e-bow parts down perfectly...
> >
> > theo
>

> Dear Theo,
>         What's an e-bow?
>
> Richard

I'm not Theo nor do I play him on TV...

An E-bow is  a hand-held device that contains a motor-driven set of Delrin
wheels (the stuff that they make model-train wheels with). The wheel is applied
to the strings of the guitar and creates interesting efx or "infinite sustain".
Don't know much more beyond this (like, number of wheels, is the speed variable
(I think it is...), etc.).

And since we are dicussing obscure musical instruments, does anyone wanna know
how a Mellotron/Chamberlain works? (Bonus points, whats the difference between
a 'Tron and a Chamberlain?) This is probably more intersting to HW fans than
to BOC'ers...

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. Suite 400