off: PM was Re: Off: FNM

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Jul 31 08:52:00 EDT 1997

> I went to my Father-in-Law's place on Friday night (he'd volunteered to
> babysit my son & his friend while I was going to a  party nearby on
> Saturday), and the new woman in his neighbour's life volunteered during the
> conversation that she was a bit of a Pat Metheny fan (bear with nme here
> folks) - but as it turned out, only his patented "jazz-lite" noodlings, and
> not the more adventurous stuff.  She got a very nasty shock when she got
> home with a copy of "Zero Tolerance for Silence" *snigger*

I guess I'm more aligned with the woman you mention above. Zero Tolerance for
Silence has to be a candidate for *the* most unlistenable piece of music
possible. It does however show that he can pull the stops out if he wants.
When I listen to Metheny I sometimes think somebody ought to tell him "Just
rock out man, stop fiddling about!" Too much of his music is just too *nice*.
What's
needed is a composition mid way between ZtfS and say, Last Train Home. :-)

> two Ozric Tentacles albums "Strangeitude" & "Live Underslunky".
> ...  anyway, the point is, are these two
> albums fairly representative, and which other albums of theirs are worth
> checking out ?

Ozrics - I kinda like Jurassic Shift myself. Nice range of songs.

As for FNM, its got to be Real Thing, just for "Edge of the World"

Tim