HW: Skew the vote (maybe OFF:)

Christian cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Thu Jul 31 16:56:30 EDT 1997

At 11:21 31.07.97 PDT, you wrote:

>> At 18:39 31.07.97 +0100, you wrote:
>> >OK, I'm up for skewing the vote as best we can. I have two proper prog
>> >albums I'll vote for (by Haze and The Enid) but we ought to decide on a
>> >proper prog Hawkwind album. What about Levitation? Or Hall of the MG? What
>> >do we reckon is the most prog HW?
>>

>> I'd also add Quark, Strangeness & Charm and suggest The Xenon Codex as
>> other "proper" prog albums. Quark is the best!!!!! (IMO of course)
>>
>> Christian
>>
>Quark is good, but I think a better choice would be Warrior On The Edge Of
>Time. Reason is that is thematically cohesive (aka "concept album") with the
>exception of the last song. Plus it uses the Mellotron, a standard
"prog-rock"
>instrument

I'm not sure I go along with the reasoning here :-), The things you mention
are more prog cliches than defining elements IMHO, like the use of
mellotron or so called "concepts"....

 (but so does HotMG, but it dosen't hang together like WotEoT does,
>thematically. Quarks' first side hangs together, but the second side is a
>little esoteric in song choices).

..... and if I were to write up some definition of "Prog", the word
"esoteric" would be somewhere in it!! I think the Quark, PXR5 and 25 Years
On albums are unique hybrids of prog and new wave, and that may be why they
are a little uncomfortable under the "prog" definition. But hey, were not
getting into THAT now :)! I guess HOTMG or WotEoT are as good as any, they
certainly are closer to more trad. prog, at least as close as HW could come
in the early 70's sense of the word... I do find those albums quite
*esoteric* BTW!

>But what about BOC's Secret Treaties as a great prog album?

huh?? Dunno if that's more prog than QS&C tho....

Christian